|Dupont Circle West|
Phone Number: (202) 449-3789 x702
Read all Rebecca’s posts here
Rebecca Sears has been in practice as a pastoral psychotherapist since 1986. As a Clinical Instructor with the Institute for Imago Relationship therapy, she is now training clinicians and other professionals in Imago Relationship Therapy.
Deeply rooted in the healing and growth potential of Imago Relationship Therapy, Rebecca is passionate about empowering clinicians and teaching the fine art of becoming a skilled couples’ therapist. Her dedication to this transformative relationship work has taken her from being a Workshop Presenter, trainer and psychotherapist here in the Washington area, to a new focused commitment to bring this work to Russia where she and her partner Dr. Carl Siegel have been presenting Imago theory since 2001. In 2006 she presented the first “Getting The Love You Want” couples workshop in St. Petersburg, Russia and began Russia’s first Basic Clinical Training in Imago Therapy. Her keen ability to teach the theory, encourage and coach therapists into a deeper clinical competence and integrate the deeply spiritual component of Imago, will bring a new level of meaning to your personal and professional work-life.
Rebecca continues a practice dedicated to helping couples restore safety and connection in their relationships and marriages.
She is ordained by Church of the Saviour in Washington DC, and is a Licensed Professional Counselor in the District of Columbia, a Fellow in the American Association of Pastoral Counselors, and a past President of the Mid-Atlantic Association of Imago Therapists.
Rebecca is a Faculty Member of the Imago International Institute and and a Top Rated Couples Therapist by Washingtonian Magazine
- Want to Give A Little Advice? Don’t Do It! (or not until you have read this first) - Giving advice to someone who may be struggling, or stuck in that maelstrom of an unresolved situation, comes naturally, and often unconsciously for many of us. Before you know it, out pops your opinion and well-intentioned, ‘just do_____’. Sometimes we even follow up with our analysis of why our advice … Continue reading
- Getting Triggered! It can be a slippery slope but doesn’t have to be - We all know that feeling of getting triggered. A quick feeling of anger, hurt, fear, or perhaps the feeling of being misjudged or ignored. That comment from a boss or colleague that leaves you feeling criticized. An eye roll from your teen. The dreaded silence of a partner when you … Continue reading
- What Sean Penn has to Teach us About Roles We Play in Relationships - I was recently interviewed about Sean Penn and May-December relationships for Yahoo News: The May-December romance between 50-year-old Sean Penn and 26-year-old Scarlett Johansson serves as a symbol of what most relationships experience. “People play roles in relationships. These behaviors are childhood roles that served as coping mechanisms growing up, … Continue reading
- Being Astonished - Spring this year seems to be teasing us this year, days of chill and then once again a promise of warmth. Nonetheless, the daffodils are everywhere, the cherry blossoms made their breath-taking appearance and the arugula in my garden is almost 2 inches high. I love honoring the rites of … Continue reading
- An Estonian Imago therapist is born… - As I finished up today with Estonia’s first class of Imago therapists I can’t begin to tell you the joy, pride and emotion that filled our training room situated next to Tallinn’s historic Old Town. One of the many requirements to become skilled in couple’s work is to show your … Continue reading